Perfect for serving at parties or bringing to a party, this recipe makes enough mini cupcakes to serve about 20-30 at a party. If you are having less people then halve the recipe to cater for 10-15. I made them in very small cupcake pans but if you don't have any or prefer your cupcakes of a larger variety than just substitute your regular cupcake pan (makes about 22 normal sized cupcakes).
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canola or rice bran oil
1 1/2 cups of soy milk
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
The zest from an orange (TIP: do this before you juice it!)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 2/3 cup of plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour or arrowroot
2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 packet of oreos, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to a moderate (about 180 degrees C) temperature.
2. Combine sugar, oil, orange juice, zest, vanilla and soy milk in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with a whisk again to combine.
4. Stir the chopped oreos through.
5. Fill cupcake liners almost all the way (or about 2/3 of the way if you are using regular sized cupcake pans & liners) and bake for 15 minutes (or bake for 23 minutes for regular cupcakes).
These are delicious eaten warm and when I am entertaining I often serve them without any icing straight out of the oven or cooled slightly. However, if you want to ice them (especially if you have made them the normal size in which case they probably need some sort of icing) then I recommend using the icing recipe in my Mandarin and Goji Berry Mini Cake recipe, with orange juice substituted for mandarin juice and 1 tsp of orange rind to make it extra orangey.