Thursday, 15 September 2011
Pumpkin, Cashew and Balsamic Free Form Pie
This rather special pie's key is the lovely tasty spiced pastry. It's also much easier than a regular pie because it is free form which means you can just bake it on a tray.
2 cups plain wholemeal flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tbsp slivered almonds, broken up
1 generous tablespoon of Zataar or Dukkah
4-5 tbsp iced water
500g pumpkin, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 Spanish onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses (or substitute 1 tbsp brown sugar)
1/3 cup cashews, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Place the pumpkin cubes on a baking tray and coat with some olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked.
2. Mix the flour and margarine together in a bowl using either your hands or a fork until it is crumbly a bit like bread crumbs. When mixed through add the almonds, meal and Zataar until well combined. Gradually add the ice water and mix together using the fork or a butter knife.
3. Sprinkle some more flour over the top and knead the pastry in the bowl, adding more flour if the dough is too sticky. When it is at the right consistency turn it out onto a floured bench and knead briefly. Then slightly flatten it out into a thick disc and wrap in glad wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. Heat some olive oil in a saucepan or frypan and sauté the onions and garlic until soft. Add the balsamic and the molasses and heat through. Remove from the heat. Add the pumpkin and cashews and stir through.
5. Take out the pastry and roll it out with a rolling pin on the bench to form a rough circle with the pastry just slightly thinner than a centimetre. Don't worry if the edges are rough.
6. Place the pastry on a tray lines with baking paper and pile the pumpkin filling in the middle and spread it out to about 2 inches from the edge of the pastry. Fold the edges over onto the pie, pleating it as you go.
7. Bake for 30 minutes in the oven until the pastry is crisp and golden.
Serve straight out of the oven with a side salad.