Sunday 1 April 2012

Peach, Date and Walnut Bircher Muesli


I have a confession to make. I'm not good at eating breakfast. I beat myself up about it a lot because I know how important breakfast is. I'm always telling my patients how important it is to have breakfast and yet each morning I struggled to get inspired to eat and I usually end up skipping it. But now, I'm trying to kick myself in the backside and eat more regularly and get a healthy routine happening. The big first step is making sure I have breakfast every morning.

There are two main reasons I don't ever want to eat breakfast. Firstly, I never feel hungry in the mornings (this may be something to do with the fact that I usually have a big dinner). Secondly, I just don't like many breakfast foods. As a vegan I don't eat eggs, milk or yoghourt. That cuts out a lot of traditional breakfast foods. I'm also not big on eating a lot of wheat because it just isn't the kind of thing I want to fill my body with! All that really leaves me with for breakfast is elaborate things like pancakes (which I don't have the time or energy to make every day). So, I have set myself the mission of coming up with new things for breakfast which will actually excite me and make me want to eat breakfast!


This gorgeous bircher muesli was a fantastic start and made me feel really excited about my new routine! The thing I liked best about it was the fact it takes me 5 minutes to prepare it the night before and then it's just in the fridge waiting for me when I get up - so quick and easy! I loved this so much I decided to make exactly the same thing again for my breakfast the next day.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup dates, chopped
1 tbsp pepitas 
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 cup apple juice
1 large ripe peach
1/3 cup walnuts
2 tbsp slivered almonds, lightly toasted in a dry fry pan or for about a minute in a pre heated oven

To Make:
1. Mix the oats, dates, pepitas and sunflower seeds in a small bowl. Mix the apple juice in and leave to soak in the fridge overnight (or minimum 1 hour).
2. Slice and pit the peach and dice. Break the walnuts up with your hands and mix them and the peaches into the soaked muesli. 
3. Serve sprinkled with toasted slivered almonds.

Serves 2.

You'll be seeing a lot of new breakfast recipes from me I hope! What is your favourite quick and easy breakfast?



UPDATE:
It't been a few months now since I pledged to find and share some yummy vegan breakfast ideas, so here are some links to the ones I had added:

For more great vegan breakfast ideas that are worth getting up for check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment