You may know from this blog that I don't have a great relationship with breakfast. Why? Read here for that. These muffins, however, I have no problem having a relationship with. I'm possibly a little bit too into these actually, these muffins probably want me to give them a bit of personal space. They probably want to break up with me for being a little bit too clingy.
The choc chips are optional - it depends on whether or not you mind eating one or two choc chips for breakfast :)
1 1/2 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 cup almond meal
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of 1 orange (hint: zest orange before you juice it!)
1 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange, if 1 orange doesn't give you quite enough just top it up with a bit of water)
1/3 cup apple sauce
2 tbsp canola or rice bran oil
1/2 cup roughly chopped almonds
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to about 180 degrees C.
2. Put the flour, almond meal, sugar, bicarb, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well to combine and remove lumps (a whisk or a fork work well for this).
3. Make a well in the centre and pour in the orange juice. Mix well to combine. Add the apple sauce, canola oil and orange zest and mix well.
4. Just before cooking stir through the chocolate chips and chopped almonds.
5. Either grease a muffin tray well or cheat a bit and use cupcake liners (which I did - it's just easier!!). Fill the tray/liners to the top and then bake for 22-23 mins.
6. Remove from the oven when they are golden on top and transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins.
For more great vegan breakfast ideas that are worth getting up for check out: