Thursday 31 May 2012

Vegan Scottish Recipes

Why should we all love Scotland? Well, apart from the obvious kilt-based reasons, here is my favourite. Scotland is the only country in the world which doesn't have a Coca-Cola owned beverage as the top selling beverage in the country. Yep - every other country in the world has a beverage owned by the Coca-Cola as the top selling beverage.

This month has been all about Scotland. I have to admit, it has been a challenge. You might have noticed that there have been fewer recipes than usual for a featured country - but this is not for want of trying! I actually cooked 4 other dishes which I didn't end up blogging because they just didn't quite work out, which is unusual. But here is what I did end up with:


~Savoury~

Swede and Parsnip Mini Cottage Pies with Mushy Peas
These little mini pies were amazing and very easy to make. They were perfect accompanied by mushy peas - I cannot believe that I had never made mushy peas before this, they were so easy and delicious! Check out the recipe here.

Lemon & Orange Vegetables
Sometimes you just need a quick and easy way to whip up some special side vegies - well, here it is. These carrots and broccoli are made special with a dressing of lemon and orange juice. They were lovely in their simplicity - although I have to admit I was a bit cheeky and added an incredibly un-Scottish ingredient to it! It was worth it - Check out the recipe here.

Roasted Love Apple and Red Wine Soup
Don't worry - a Love Apple isn't some sort of obscure fruit which you'll never find anywhere unless you happen to have a tree in your backyard. Actually Love Apple is a traditional name for a tomato, and this is a beautiful rich roasted tomato soup. With May being the last month of Autumn before Winter kicks in, it was perfect timing for this soup. A perfect hearty and warming soup perfect with some crusty bread. I highly recommend trying this one out! Check out the recipe here.

~Sweet~

Cranachan (Whiskey Cream with Oats and Raspberries)
I'm not sure you could really go wrong with this dessert. It's whiskey cream with raspberries and toasted oats sprinkled with slivered almonds - but my vegan version of course! It's delicious and if you leave the nuts off then it's good for almost every allergy there is - it's egg free, dairy free, wheat free, soy free, tree nut free, peanut free and sesame free. But it certainly isn't taste free or decadence free! Check out the recipe here.

Vegan Oat and Currant Scones
Scotland gave me a great opportunity to explore scones. I actually made three types of scones but I only ended up posting these ones, the others just didn't turn out quite right. I think I will have to fiddle with the recipes and maybe post them later. These ones were really delicious though! You could make them in a more traditional scone shape, but I like the rustic loaf style wedges of these scones. Check out the recipe here.

So - What's next?
I'm so incredibly excited to announce that in June I will be featuring recipes inspired by Cambodia! I'm really glad that somebody has requested the first Asian country I've featured (much as I love European foods, it's nice to get off the continent). 


I didn't know this until I started researching, by apparently Cambodian cuisine is very old and is famed for amazing combinations of fresh ingredients and unique flavours. It really sounds like my cup of tea, I love fresh zingy foods laced with chilli, lime and fresh herbs. Want a sneak peak? Here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment