Vegan/Chopped is a competition hosted and judged by the queen of vegan cooking herself, Isa Chandra Moskowitz. This time around it is a brunch theme, and the challenge is to create dishes which use Butternut pumpkin, fresh rosemary, popcorn and apricot jam. Man, she surely knows how to throw down a challenge. Those 4 ingredients are ones that I could never ever have imagined that I would cook together if it weren't for this! So, I have to give a thank you to Isa for this - because these little crumbles were delicious and I would never have made them if not for Vegan/Chopped.
700g Butternut pumpkin (or you can substitute other pumpkin varieties)
3 tbsp sugar
2/3 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups popped popcorn (popped according to the directions on the packet)
1 tbsp pepitas
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1/4 cup almonds, chopped up
2 tbsp vegan margarine
2 heaped tbsp sugar
1/2 cup apricot jam
1. Remove the skin and seeds from the pumpkin and chop up. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer until the pumpkin is well cooked. Drain.
2. Put the cooked pumpkin back in the saucepan and add the sugar, rosemary and nutmeg. Mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth. Place back on a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Divide the pumpkin amongst 4 ramekins.
4. Combine the popcorn, pepitas, sunflower seeds and almonds in a bowl.
5. Put a small saucepan over a low heat and add the sugar, margarine and jam. Stir well and keep over the low heat until the it has all melted. Pour over the popcorn mixture in the bowl and mix to coat it all over.
6. Spread this sticky topping over the pumpkin mixture in the ramekins. Place on a baking tray and put under the grill (at about 180 degrees) for 2-3 minutes, or until browned on the top.
7. Remove from grill and let stand for 15 minutes before eating.
Makes 4 individual crumbles.