Saturday 7 September 2013

Egyptian Limoonada (Orange Blossom Lemonade)


The second of my Egyptian Food Month recipes stays with the "lemons" theme :) A couple of days ago I posted my Preserved Lemons (yum!!) and now here is some absolutely fantastic Egyptian Lemonade. This is a bit different to traditional lemonade, it's mostly lemons and has very little sugar. This means it isn't very sweet and it's very lemony! It is smoothed out with delicious orange blossom water and fresh mint but it's actually not meant to be served as it. Because it's so lemony, it is served with only a bit on the bottom of the glass on ice and then topped up with soda water. This small jug of limoonada plus two bottles of soda water kept 8 people very well watered for a whole evening - so a little bit can go a long way! I, personally, much prefer this to the sugary sweet lemonades which I'm more used to. 

Egyptian Limoonada

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup boiling hot water
10 lemons
2 tsp orange blossom water
1/2 bunch mint, roughly torn

Ice & soda water, to serve

To Make
1. Dissolve the sugar in the boiling hot water and set aside to cool.
2. Juice the lemons and tip into a jug. Add the sugar and orange blossom water and stir well. Chill until ready to serve.
3. When ready to serve, stir through the mint.
4. Pour a small amount over ice in a glass and top up with soda water. Enjoy!

If you'd like to make this a bit more adult you can add a splash of vodka, gin or white rum.

I've submitted this recipe to the Vegan Virtual Linky Potluck - click here to see the other entries.

This month I'm featuring lots of delicious food from Egypt.
Check out my other Egyptian recipe posts:

7 comments:

  1. Ooh this sounds delicious! I love real lemonade and get annoyed at the fizzy stuff they sell in bottles, so this recipe is right up my street! Lovely photos as well, thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great, so much better than the bottles you can buy in stores! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I reckon this would go down pretty well with some white rum...to drown our election sorrows of course! Will definitely give this a shot (with and without the booze!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how depressing was it? I admit to having several glasses of red wine last night..... I'm going to have to come up with a better coping mechanism though or I'll become an alcoholic during the next three years.

      Delete
  3. I am so thirsty now. Looks refreshingly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so refreshing! Thank you for joining in the VVLP!

    ReplyDelete