Tuesday 26 May 2015

Vegan Nutmeat Bolognese with Zucchini and Carrot Spaghetti (low carb)


Like every other Australian kid, I grew up eating a lot of spaghetti bolognese. It's so commonly cooked in Australian homes that it's practically a national dish. Nobody in my family was vegetarian or vegan at the time, but my father used to switch around between making our bolognese with meat or with nutmeat. Even as a kid, I loved the nutmeat one more than the meaty one. When I grew up I learnt to cook it for myself and made it often. I introduced it to my Italian best friend and even he loved it more than the meat version. He wasn't a vegan then, but he is now and it's become the lunch we always cook whenever we catch up at, in either of our kitchens. So, it's a sentimental dish for me, and one I probably should have shard on the blog earlier.

Usually, I'd have it with thin spaghetti (the thinner the better!), but cutting back on my carb intake has meant experimenting with other options. These zucchini and carrot noodles taste wonderful with this sauce, and make for a much lighter meal. I've left mine raw, and then ladled the hot sauce over them which cooks them just slightly. You can also blanch them for a minute before eating to soften them up, but don't cook them much or they will break apart and become mushy. You'll want a julienne slicer to get them nice and noodle-y, but I seem to recall mine cost less than $2 from eBay.
 


Vegan Nutmeat Bolognese with Zucchini & Carrot Spaghetti


Ingredients1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 x 400g can of nutmeat, chopped finely
2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes (or even better - 1 can diced, 1 can crushed)
1 tbsp. Tomato paste
1 tbsp. Soy sauce
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup fresh oregano, chopped finely
Cracked pepper, to taste
1 zucchini, julienne sliced into noodles
1 carrot, julienne sliced into noodles

(or, use spaghetti)

To Make:
1. Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion until just starting get translucent. Add the garlic and carrot and fry for a moment. Then add 1/3 cup water and simmer, covered, until the carrot is cooked through.
2. Add the chopped nutmeat, cans of tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce and nutmeg. Add 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered,  for about 15-20 minutes by which point the sauce should have reduced and thickened nicely. Stir in the fresh oregano and add cracked pepper to taste.
3. Shred your zucchini and carrot into noodles using a julienne slicer and divide between two bowls. Ladle the hot sauce over them. If you like, sprinkle with some (vegan) parmesan cheese.

Makes enough sauce for 3-4 people, and enough noodles for 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment