Thursday, 4 August 2016
So many of my favourite ingredients come together to form this thoroughly comforting dish. You can use leftover roast veggies of any kind in it as well, you may just need to cut them up smaller.
Keeping my foot in the door with one post a month at the moment and hoping to be able to increase it soon!
Roasted Vegetable Spaghetti with Capers and Pine Nuts
1/2 medium eggplant, diced into 1cm cubes
1 zucchini, diced into 1cm cubes
Salt and pepper to taste
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 x 400ml cans of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp capers
2 tbsp pine nuts
300g thin spaghetti
1. Spray a baking tray lightly with olive oil and spread the diced eggplant and zucchini out. Spray with additional olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan and cook the onions and garlic until the onions are softened and translucent. Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the roasted veggies and simmer for up to 5 minutes, just to soften any that may have dried out in the roasting. Stir through the capers and leave on a very low heat to stay warm while you cook the pasta.
4. Cook the spaghetti to al dente according to the instructions on the packet, with thin spaghetti varieties this may only take a few minutes. Drain the spaghetti and stir the sauce gently through.
5. Toast the pine nuts in a dry frypan until golden and then remove from the heat immediately.
6. Serve up the spaghetti and sprinkle generously with pine nuts.
Makes 4 fairly modest serves or 2 very generous serves (or 3 just right?).
Depends on how much you love pasta!
If you love pasta as much as I do, you might want to check out all my other pasta recipes too :)